Thursday 19 March 2015

Creating Light Scaring, Using Molds, How to Attach to the Skin, How to Colour

Health and Safety: If using a model place apron around the neck to protect clothing. 
Always ensure to run a client consultation to check for any infections, allergies or contraindications.
Wash hands thoroughly before touching the clients face.
Products Used:
- Prosaide Adhesive 
- Gelatine Moulded Wound
- Witch Hazel
- Cotton Buds
- Stipple Sponge (Orange) 
- Fake Blood
- Wound Filler
- Supracolour Palette (reds, blacks, yellows)
- Fixing Spray
Translucent Powder

Process of Creation
1. Ensure the area for application is clean and free from dirt and product. 
2. Cut prosthetic to size and choose area of application.
3. Paint a thin layer of Prosaide to both the area of application and the back of the prosthetic. 
4. Apply the prosthetic to the skin and press firmly ensuring that all edges have been securely stuck to the surface of the body. 
5. Taking a cotton bud begin to rub witch hazel around the edges of the prosthetic, ensure to push securely into the gelatine to melt the edges away into the skin. 
6. Once edges have been merged with the skin apply a fair amount of translucent powder to seal any tacky surface. 
7. Using an orange stipple sponge begin to apply red tones to the prosthetic. 
8. Enhance using purple, black and yellow tones if bruising is visible. 
9. Apply a fixative spray to secure in place. 
10. Using a small brush work some wound filler into the opening of the prosthetic. 
11. Apply fake blood into the wound last. 

 Evaluation
To be honest I actually found this process rather challenging and time consuming although the final results were effective. The more I work with special effects and prosthetics the more I realise how much I need to improve my skills, talking in particular about colouring and blending the edges which I always feel is not done to the best of my ability. Although the edges of this prosthetic were done better than my previous attempts (apart from the left facing side) my colouring is still to heavy handed and I feel that this makes the prosthetic visibly false. In particular to this image I feel that there is visibly to much red and despite blending out the colour my initial heavy application meant that the colour simply moved up the arm more as I worked it. In future I will apply less product and focus more on blending out the edges of the prosthetic to ensure that the makeup stays with realistic elements. Despite this I feel that the wound itself is rather successfully done and the benefits of mould making would be of great use for continuity purposes although this is not something we have learnt fully yet. In addition to this is how by simply adding some fake blood (of appropriate consistency) the makeup becomes more realistic than when it is left unfinished, however I do feel that I went completely overboard on adding red tones to this prosthetic and if I was to repeat it in future I would tone down the level of pigment that I apply to the piece and examine from a distance to see how far my makeup has spread. 
Cut arm with open wound

No comments:

Post a Comment